Programmable thermostat’s can make a great difference in energy-efficiency, but you have to take advantage of their potential in order to do so. Use these programming tips to save energy (and money) all year-round:
- Use the schedule settings on your thermostat to lower your heat/air-conditioning at the time you leave for work, and then increase it about 30 minutes before you expect to return home.
- Utilize the day settings to program different settings for the weekend and weekdays.
- Program your thermostat to reduce/increase the temperature (depending on if you’re using heating or air-conditioning) about 30 minutes before you go to bed. Set the program to turn back to your comfortable temperature when 30 minutes before your alarm goes off in the morning.
- To save the maximum amount of energy, it is recommended to set the thermostat to 68°F when using heating, and 78°F for air-conditioning as your “comfortable” at-home setting.
- Be sure to override your standard programming and shut down your system altogether when going out of town. The only thing to keep in mind is that you’ll want to be sure to keep the temperature over 55°F to avoid your pipes from freezing, and keep in mind the comfort of any pets that may be left in the home while you’re away. Even so, you can certainly set the temperature much lower or higher than your typical comfort level if you’ll be away from your home.
By using these tips, you can watch your savings increase on your energy bills year-round! If you’re in need of a new heating or air conditioning appliance, contact the professionals at Polsinello Fuels, Inc. for even more ways to save!