According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 400 people unintentionally die annually from Carbon Monoxide (CO2) poisoning in America. No human or animal is immune to its effects. A lot of the time, the victims don’t even know they are being poisoned, and it is something that could have been stopped in its tracks, or even prevented to begin with.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas found in fumes created by burning fuel. Most of the time, Carbon Monoxide is expelled into the open air and dissipates, causing no harm. However, if allowed to build up, the gas can kill anyone who breathes it in for a certain amount of time.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is definitely a scary thought, but there are some things you can do to help reduce your risk and put your mind at ease.
- First and foremost: install a battery-powered CO2 detector in your home. Test it and replace the batteries in the spring and fall (each time you turn your clocks back or forward).
- Make sure all of your gas equipment (stove, heater, etc) are in proper working order and have them serviced and maintained regularly.
- Be sure there is proper ventilation anywhere that fuel is burned and gas is produced.
- Do not turn on your car while it is still in the garage with the garage door closed. If you accidentally do this for too long, you could pass out before you have a chance to save yourself!
- Have your chimney cleaned and checked every year – CO2 can build up in your home behind a clogged chimney.
- Never use generators, portable gas stoves, or portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
By taking these precautionary measures, you put yourself, your family, and your guests at a lower risk of harm. You can always contact Polsinello Fuels with any concerns you may have about CO2 and your home, and remember to ALWAYS report any suspected gas leaks ASAP!