Carbon Monoxide (CO) is sometimes referred to as the “silent killer” because it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which can be fatal when inhaled. That is why Amanda’s Law was passed in New York in February 2010. The law requires all homes with a fuel burning appliance or attached garage to have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed. The CO detectors should be installed outside each sleeping area and on every level within the home in order to ensure proper detection. It is recommended that the CO detectors comply with UL2034 and are installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you have any questions about Amanda’s Law or how Polsinello Fuels can help you become compliant, call us today.
In addition to installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home according to Amanda’s Law it is recommended that you follow the following recommendations to protect you and your family:
- Regularly test and replace your CO detectors every 5 to 7 years
- Inspect and service your heating system, vents, chimneys and flue annually by a professional
- Never run a car, generator, or fuel burning motors indoors or in a garage (even if the garage door is open)
- Ovens should not be used to heat your home
- Barbeque grills should be used outdoors only
- Smoke Alarms should also be installed on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas
If you have questions about your heating system, Carbon Monoxide or would like to schedule your heating system’s annual maintenance feel free to call Polsinello Fuels today at 518-465-3535.