50% of your home’s energy consumption is used to heat and cool your home. This means improving the heating and air conditioning efficiency within your home is one of the best ways to reduce your overall energy costs. According to energystar.gov, there are some simple steps that you should take to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- The most basic step is changing your air filter on a regular basis. A dirty filter can force your heating and air conditioning systems to work harder than necessary.
- An annual tune-up or maintenance should be performed on your heating and air conditioning systems. Annual maintenance ensures your equipment is working to its maximum efficiency.
- Programmable thermostats are a great and affordable way to improve your home’s efficiency. These thermostats allow you to turn down your heating or air conditioning systems when your home is not occupied.
- Sealing and insulation your ductwork makes sure your heating and air conditioning systems send the air where it belongs. Unsealed ductwork can “leak” warm or cooled air into attics, crawlspaces and other places it does not belong.
- Install high efficiency, Energy Star rated heating and air conditioning systems. If your current systems are more than 10 years old, there could be great energy savings to be had by upgrading today.
- If you do install new heating and air conditioning systems, make sure it is done right. If you wish to save, a certified professional should be consulted to make sure your new system is properly sized, installed and functioning.
Polsinello Fuels is an expert in the field of Energy Efficiency and we have saved our customers thousands. If you would like to implement the recommendations above, we can help! Call us today and start to save.