518-465-3535 or 518-463-0084
Heating Oil Facts & FAQS
Heating Oil Facts
- Heating oil contains over 135,000 BTU's per gallon. Natural gas only contains 99,000 BTU's per gallon. That means you get more heat per gallon from heating oil.
- Heating oil comes from the refining of crude oil. It is produced along with gasoline, jet fuel, kerosene and diesel fuel.
- Heating oil is champagne colored after it is refined. It is dyed red so that the product is distinguished from diesel fuel for tax purposes.
- Heating oil is safe and must be vaporized in order to ignite. A lit match would go out if it were dropped into a pool of heating oil.
- Today's heating oil contains about 95% less sulfur than in 1970. Also, heating oil equipment is up to 20% more efficient that equipment 20 years ago.
Heating Oil FAQ's
Q: How big is my oil tank?
A: Most oil tanks inside of homes are 275 gallon tanks. The dimensions of a conventional 275 gallon tank are 26'W X 44'H X 60'L. Some homes have two tanks this size which are piped together for a total of 550 gallons of storage. Other sizes which are less common are 225, 330, 550 or 1,000 gallons. If you have a questions about your oil tank contact us at 518-465-3535.
Q: How many times can I press the reset button on my oil burner?
A: The reset button is the button (usually red) located on the front of your oil burner. It is to be pressed only once in the event your burner does not fire. Do not press the reset button more than once. If you have to press the reset button, be sure to contact us at 518-465-3535 to schedule a service call even if the burner begins to run after you press the button.
Q: What is the whistling sound I hear when my tank is being filled?
A: Most oil tanks are equipped with an audible alarm for the truck driver to hear when he is making a delivery to your tank. When the alarm stops the driver knows the tank is full. The whistling is caused by the air that is displaced from the tank by the oil that is being delivered.
Q: Can I pay your delivery driver with a check when they deliver?
A: We offer multiple ways to make paying convenient. You can click here to make a payment online. We also accept most major credit cards and we can process a payment over the phone. You can contact us at 518-465-3535 ext. 2. It is our policy that our drivers do not handle payments. This is our policy to ensure the safety of our drivers and to ensure your payments are received properly.
Get more heating oil information from Polsinello Fuels: